There has never been a better time to increase your skills and make your next career move. Whether you want to become more visible in your organization, secure a promotion or gain leadership experience, there are many proactive ways you can advance your HR career.
In a recent talk I did with the invitation of the Founder and President of the Philippines HR Group, Inc. on The HR Cafe Episode 107, I shared 5 ways on how you can level up in your career.
1. Adaptability essentially means the ability to be flexible and adapt to changing conditions, factors or environments. Being adaptable means being open and willing to learn new skills as well as adjust to changes at work.
Why is adaptability important?
Adaptability can be important when developing strategies, working on projects and implementing different approaches to achieving goals. It can also help and show you:
Overcome unexpected obstacles and difficulties
Ability to be resourceful and analytical
Be more content and satisfied with your job
Be a more valuable team member and employee
Be a better leader
How to enhance your adaptability?
Awareness - self-awareness and awareness of your environment (information)
Cultivate growth mindset and attitude (personal & professional development)
Setting objectives for yourself (goals, intentions, aspirations and understanding what you can or can’t control)
Getting feedback (psychological safety, communication and improvement)
Learning to recognize and embrace change]
2. Continuous Learning used in the context of professional development, continuous learning in the workplace is about developing new skills and knowledge, while also reinforcing what has been previously learned.
“There is no more profitable investment than investing in yourself. It is the best investment you can make to improve yourself to be the best version of you and lets you be able to best serve those around you” - Roy T. Bennett
3. Empowerment is about helping others feel more in control of their life—you literally give them power. In HR specially this may mean:
Being able to provide the tools, training and other resources your team needs (computer/laptop, transportation & training)
Set achievable goals, be accountable, measurable steps & follow through
Improving employee engagement at the workplace
Building business partners within the organization a program on this is linked, make sure to use code CT50 to get US$50 discount)
4. Leadership as we all know is where organizations rise and fall. Leaders drive the company toward a vision and it is their responsibility to take interest in the long term development of their employees.
Corporate investment in leadership is a priority because companies recognize that strong leaders have a direct impact on 5P's - People (turnover), Performance, Process (efficiency), Productivity and Profitability
We have shared more information on learning, employee engagement and leadership in our earlier article on How does the Future of HR looks like
5. Last but not the least and probably the most important thing we have to do is to humanize how we work. This may also mean customer-centricity by being able to understand the needs of both internal/external customers that we work with. This is about having to understand that we are working with people who has feelings and other roles to fill and not about just their job title.
I am convinced that nothing we do is more important than hiring and developing people. At the end of the day, you bet on people, not on strategies.” —Lawrence Bossidy
In conclusion, based on what I shared in 5 ways to Level-up (Adaptability, Continuous Learning, Empowerment, Leadership & Humanizing the way we work) Our job as HR Leaders is about humanizing the way we work by being people centric in everything we do.
You may watch the full talk below:
Find out more how we can help your HR and Leaders through training, coaching and consulting. Schedule a free 30 minute call now!